6,875,000 pageviews


Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Thornton P. Knowles On Celebrity Worship

People love celebrities. Entertainers, TV commentators and sports figures who achieve fame are worshiped, and when they die, are mourned by millions of fans who really didn't know them. I have never felt any kind of personal connection to any celebrity and therefore am not affected when one of them dies. The only reason I was interested in John Lennon's death had to do with the fact he was murdered by a nutcase obsessed with the novel Cather In The Rye. In order to better understand the  celebrity worship mystery, I asked a psychologist friend to explain it. He said it was simple: celebrity worship is the product of our fear of death. He asked me if I'm as disinterested in my own death as I am in celebrities. I confessed that I'm not a fan of death anymore than I am of famous people. I guess that made me an oddball. But that's something I already knew. But as far as I'm concerned, celebrity fawning people are just as odd as me. Solving the celebrity worship mystery made me feel a lot better about myself. I'm an oddball, but at least I'm not alone.

Thornton P. Knowles

1 comment:

  1. If it ever came down to a choice of worshipping Michael Jackson or Lady Gaga or spending all my time worrying about death, I'd easily choose the latter.

    ReplyDelete