6,910,000 pageviews

Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Heather Elvis: Missing and Presumed Murdered

     Heather Elvis, a 20-year-old employee of a bar and restaurant in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, lived with a female roommate at the River Oaks Apartments in the city. Her parents, Terry and Debbie Elvis, lived nearby. At three in the morning of Wednesday, December 18, 2013 Heather called her roommate from her cellphone about 45 minutes after being dropped off at River Oaks by her date. She called to report how the evening with the young man had worked out.

     On December 19, 2013, Heather Elvis' abandoned 2001 Dodge Intrepid was found parked at the Peachtree Landing along the Waccamaw River in the town of Socastee just outside of Myrtle Beach. The dark green vehicle had not been involved in an accident. Parked about nine miles from the River Oak Apartments, the car did not contain Elvis' purse or her cellphone.

     On Friday December 20, after Heather Elvis failed to show up for her scheduled shift at the Tilted Kilt Pub and Eatery, her parents Terry and Debbi Elvis reported their 5-foot-1 inch, 118-pound daughter missing.

     The next day, under the supervision of the Horry County Police Department, 300 people spent ten hours combing the woods and ponds in the vicinity of the abandoned car.

     On January 3, 2014 another search party made up of law enforcement officers and volunteers, aided by several K-9 units and searchers riding horses and ATVs, continued the hunt for the missing young woman.

     Lieutenant Robert Kegler with the Horry County Police Department, on January 6, 2014, told a Fox News reporter that detectives had questioned several people in connection with the disappearance. While the young man who had dropped Heather off at her apartment after the date in the early morning hours of December 18 was not a suspect, some of the uncooperative men interviewed by detectives were being scrutinized.

     At 8 PM on Monday, January 6, 2014, television crime host Nancy Grace devoted a segment of her show to the Heather Elvis missing persons case. A $25,000 reward was posted for information leading to the discovery of the missing young woman.

     At seven o'clock on the morning of Friday February 21, 2014, officers with the Horry County Police Department, South Carolina State Police and the U.S. Marshal's Office executed a search warrant at a house in Myrtle Beach occupied by 37-year-old Sidney Moorer and his 41-year-old wife Tammy. Officers spent eleven hours at the dwelling. Cadaver dogs searched the property without result. Two pickup trucks were taken away from the house and officers were seen placing several boxes into a white police van.

     A prosecutor, following the search of the Moorer house, charged Sidney and Tammy Moorer with indecent exposure and obstruction of justice. It was reported that Tammy Moorer, angry at Heather because she and Sidney had been involved in a sexual relationship, sent her nude pictures of herself and Sidney. In January 2014 Tammy Moorer told a reporter that Sidney had sex with Heather Elvis in his car "a total of three times." According to Tammy, Sidney ended the relationship when he realized that "something wasn't right about her."

     On February 24, 2014 a Horry County prosecutor charged Sidney and Tammy Moorer with Heather Elvis' kidnapping and murder. They were held without bail. Elvis' body had not been found.

     In 2016 the Horry County prosecutor, without Heather Elvis's body, dropped the murder charges against the Moorer couple. That year Sidney Moorer was tried for the kidnapping of Heather Elvis. That trial ended with a hung jury. A few months later a jury found Sidney Moorer guilty of obstructing justice in the Heather Elvis kidnapping case. The judge sentenced him to ten years in prison.

     In October 2018 Tammy Moorer was tried for kidnapping. After testifying on her own behalf the Horry County jury found her guilty. The judge sentenced Tammy Moorer to 30 years in prison.

     In September 2019 Sidney Moorer was retried on the kidnapping charge. The jury found him guilty and the judge sentenced him to 30 years behind bars.

     As of April 2024 the body of Heather Elvis has not been found.


  1. After doing A LOT of researching and I DO MEAN A LOT, I just have one question Someone came up with a very insightful idea that Heather met with the married man and the wife interrupted the rendezvous. I am wondering if she found them by locating her husbands cell phone with family plan locator through their cell phone company. I locate my kids all the time through AT&T family locator and I know all cell phone companies have this service. Also, it keeps a record of who you tracked and how many times by sending you an email if you want an email. I don't know if you can check it through anywhere else. I'm just wondering if the police checked it out to see if wife located the husband in those days Dec 17-19 , if she does in fact have a family locator plan?

    1. I have been pondering the same theory! There is a Facebook site called Findheatherelvis. Have you sent the family a message of your thoughts?

    2. As it looks now: According to arrest warrants released Monday afternoon, Heather Elvis was kidnapped and murdered at the Peachtree Boat Landing in Socastee.

      Tammy Moorer and Sidney Moorer have been charged with kidnapping and murder of Heather Elvis

  2. The advantage in Asian and middle eastern countries is, a few hours of third degree interrogation of Tammy and Sydney we hv revealed tht they had kidnapped Elvis from the tree landing area, brought her fatally injured body to their home in the truck, pieced it and then disposed it off with no trace to be discovered later. And the police search being started after days and their home raided months after, enough time and no hopes of finding those pieces. But 30 years in prison is enough even if murder has not been not stated. The search drama is led by Terry Elvis for funds which he has, as evinced, misappropriated and therefore wants to amass more. RIP Heather.

  3. I just watched the 20/20 episode & I'm full of questions but in no doubt they're guilty just so happens they did everything possible to cover their tracks. So this tells me there was a ton of premeditated thinking. So much so I'm assuming notes were taken. Sadly their house wasn't searched for what? Over a year?
    And the landing is clearly an intentional misdirection.
    The defendants need put under a microscope, past behavior, every place they've been, visited, or lived.
    Unless they fed her to pigs (very sorry for the graphic nature of this statement) she IS SOMEWHERE. There is something, somewhere. There is a telling trail I feel it in my bones. I would want to know every place both guilty parties visited from the time the wife found out until she was locked up. If she thinks she is the smartest person in the room, that's her weakness. She likely scouted her location. I'm sure it's isolated and far enough away she needed fuel... did she ever purchase extra fuel she didn't use at home? Where is that old camera system they replaced? Like I said, I have so many questions. They're guilty there is no doubt but that poor girl & her baby were taken somewhere. I'm confident of I had access & some one in authority that would listen to where my inquiry could lead. We could get somewhere. I would want my child and her unborn baby home, put to rest, at peace. That's sacred! That's necessary. This case isn't solved until what happened to that girl is known. I'm blown away here thinking about all these unanswered questions.