More than 4,970,000 pageviews from 160 countries

Sunday, June 1, 2014

What Happened to College Students Hye Min Choi and Brogan Dulle? Two Unrelated Missing Persons Cases

     From Greensboro, North Carolina, 19-year-old Hye Min Choi attended the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign as a full-scholarship mechanical engineering major. The five-foot-six, 100 pound junior, who went by the first name Joseph, had earned high grades at the university.

     At three in the afternoon of Saturday, May 17, 2014, Choi checked his luggage at Chicago's O'Hare International Airport in advance of a 7:40 PM United Airlines flight to Greensboro. Two hours later, the student called and spoke to his father from the airport. During their brief conversation, the father told his son to make sure he got something to eat before boarding the plane. At seven that evening, forty minutes before the flight's scheduled departure, someone swiped Hye Choi's Wells Fargo credit card at an airport McDonalds.

     Hye Min Choi did not board the plane or re-book another flight. His mother, waiting for him at the airport in Greensboro, went home without him.

     Three days later, on Tuesday, May 20, Chicago police superintendent Gary McCarthy announced that the college student had been found, safe and sound. "The young man," he said, "was apparently having some problem in school. It appears that he may not have wanted to go home." According to reports, Choi had been upset over his final exams. The police have not released information regarding what Choi was doing, or where he was, while the police in Chicago wasted their time looking for him. He is back in North Carolina with his family.

Brogan Dulle

     Brogan Dulle, a 21-year-old student at the University of Cincinnati, resided in an apartment building in the Mount Auburn Historic District of the city. At two in the morning of Sunday, May 18, 2014, Dulle walked out of his apartment carrying a flashlight in an effort to find his missing cell phone by retracing his steps. He believed he had left the phone at the St. Clair, a bar, or at Mac's Pizza near campus. He left behind his keys, wallet, and jacket. He did not return to his apartment.

     Over the next eight days, hundreds of volunteers searched for the missing student. Dulle's friends and family posted missing persons posters around the city, and a $30,000 reward was offered for information regarding his whereabouts.

     At 9:00 PM on Monday, May 26, 2014, the landlord of the building adjacent to Dulle's apartment, called 911 to report a possible break-in. At the time, the building was under renovation. Police officers investigating the landlord's complaint found Brogan Dulle's body hanging from a cord in the basement. Dulle had apparently gained entry by climbing up a fire escape and using a crowbar to break an upper floor window. The building was unoccupied at the time.

     The Hamilton County Coroner listed Brogan Dulle's cause of death as "asphyxiation by strangulation," and his manner of death as suicide. A police spokesperson told reporters that the student had not left a suicide note. Near his body officers found a wine bottle. The police official said there is no suspicion of foul play in this case.

     In the social media, there are some who disagree with the coroner's ruling of suicide in Brogan Dulle's death.

No comments:

Post a Comment