More than 3,900,000 pageviews from 150 countries

Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Jimmy Lee Dykes: The Alabama Bunker Hostage Case

     Two years ago, shortly after moving into his rural house in Midland City, Alabama, a town of 2,300 not far from Dothan in the south east corner of the state, 65-year-old Jimmy Lee Dykes began building his underground storm shelter. The retired truck driver and Navy veteran worked on the project every day between two and three in the morning for eighteen months. He stocked his underground sanctuary with food, wired it for electricity, and moved in a TV set and other amenities.

     People who live near Mr. Dykes consider him a neighbor from hell. Paranoid, combative, and violent, Dykes, pursuant to a variety of neighborhood disputes and feuds, has threatened to shoot people. He has been seen patrolling his property at night with a flashlight and a shotgun. Back in December, Dykes fired two shots at a pickup truck occupied by two people who reside in the area. As a result of that incident, Dykes had a court appearance in nearby Ozark, Alabama where he faced a charge of menacing. If convicted of the misdemeanor, the judge could sentence the loner and survivalist up to six months in jail.

     On Tuesday, January 29, 2013, the day before his court appearance, Jimmy Lee Dykes became more than just an armed eccentric who hated people. At 3:40 in the afternoon, Dykes boarded a school bus near his house carrying twenty-two elementary school children. He pulled out a handgun and ordered the little passengers out of the vehicle. He then grabbed a 6-year-old boy who was so frightened he fainted. When the bus driver, 66-year-old Charles Poland, Jr. tried to save the child, Dykes shot him four times. (Mr. Poland later died from his wounds.)

     From the hijacked bus, Dykes took the boy to his underground bunker which became the site of an ongoing hostage standoff. A short time later, Dykes' underground fort was surrounded by local, county, and state police officers as well as a SWAT team and paramedic crews. FBI hostage negotiators also responded to the scene. Officers blocked-off several roads in the area.

     The abducted boy's parents were doubly concerned because the child required medication that had to be taken daily. At one point, officers who were talking to Dykes through a PVC pipe dropped the boy's medication into the bunker through the pipe. According to reports, Dykes has assured the hostage negotiators that the child has not been injured.

     On Thursday, some 36 hours into the standoff, a hostage negotiator said, "Give up. You need to exit the shelter, put down any weapons you might have and approach the police. This isn't going to end itself. You need to come out and talk to us. We are not going away."

     On Monday, February 4, 2013 at three in the afternoon, FBI agents stormed the bunker, killed the hostage taker, and rescued the boy. The hostage negotiators, while they were unable to talk Dykes out of the storm shelter, kept the boy alive long enough for Dykes to be worn down then killed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment