6,835,000 pageviews


Friday, March 2, 2018

Thornton P. Knowles On Reality TV Cliches

Pretty much everything that comes out of a politician's mouth is a cliche. Athletes and sportscasters also rely heavily on the trite, overused expression. But nowhere is the cliche more at home than on reality TV shows like "Survivor" and "Top Chef." What follows are just five of the most common cliches uttered by reality television contestants:
1. I'm in it to win it.
2. Go big or go home.
3. I've got a target on my back.
4. I'm not here to make friends.
5. I've got to step up my game.
If a viewer of one of these shows consumed a shot of booze every time a reality TV contestant used one of these cliches, before the first commercial that person would be in an alcoholic stupor. (Mr. Knowles died before the advent of reality TV, but because he wasn't a big fan of television, and hated cliches, I hope he would approve of this attribution.)

Thornton P. Knowles

No comments:

Post a Comment