6,815,000 pageviews


Saturday, November 9, 2019

Sylvia Plath on Not Writing

I was getting worried about becoming too happily stodgily practical: instead of studying [John] Locke, for instance, or writing--I go make an apple pie, or study The Joy of Cooking, reading it like a rare novel. Whoa, I said to myself. You will escape into domesticity and stifle yourself by falling headfirst into a bowl of cookie batter. And just now I pick up the blessed diary of Virginia Woolf...and she works off her depression over rejections from Harper's (no less!--and I can hardly believe that the Big Ones got rejected, too!) by cleaning out the kitchen.

 The Writer's Life (1997) edited by Carol Edgarian and Tom Jenks. Sylvia Plath (1932-1963) was an American poet who committed suicide in England. Before her death she was relatively unknown.

No comments:

Post a Comment